Thursday, June 8, 2006

أبومصعب الزرقاوي

Overheard in the lunch room today: "It's a good day for the world."

How sad. We are all sinners. All of us have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. There aren't even any degrees, because it's a binary state. 1 or 0. Either you are a sinner and completely worthy of death and condemnation and Hell, or you are not...and we all are, equally. How sad it is then that there are actually people in this world who wreak such harm on others while they are here that they perhaps make the world a better place for others by dying, and whose death causes others to rejoice in the streets.

Am I glad as well that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is dead? I suppose, for the sake of those he would have killed. At the same time, I cannot rejoice too much in the death of another man because I cannot forget the fact that a man who by nature was no more or less evil (and no more or less deserving of salvation) than myself has died and is now in Hell. God's grace would have been sufficient for him, just as it is for me. The atonement provided by Jesus' sinless death and resurrection would have covered his sins just as easily as it covers mine.

His death was a victory in the war, and in no other way.

I thank God for the grace, love and mercy he has shown by saving me.

Labels: