Sunday, May 21, 2006

What are you good at?

That was the question that Travis asked the Sunday School class this morning, and the exact same word-for-word question I have been asking myself for the past few weeks. Travis was asking in more of a "spiritual gifts" way, while I was asking more about specific abilities, but it boils down to the same thing. Of course the questions that go along with that are, "how are you using it?" and "how is God planning to use it?" We can't really know the answer to the second question until the time comes to say yes, but I think that when we have an opportunity presented to us, often that is God saying, "Now's the time." Being a somewhat inert person, I usually need a good reason to go and do something, but when I am presented with someone else's need (whether they are actually presenting it to me or not), and I am fully capable of supplying it, I would need a really good reason not to do it, or at least offer. Why wait for someone else to do it, if I can take care of it right now? Or at least that's my new way of looking at things. I'll let you know how it goes.

In any case, here's the answer to the question (what are you good at?): I'm an okay photographer, I'm pretty good with computers, I'm a safe driver, I can learn just about anything, I am good at listening and understanding but not at talking, and I can do all the little things that keep other people who can from doing all the things I can't. I took the "spiritual gift" test once (for as much as you can label that kind of thing), and I think Serving and Mercy were pretty high up there on the list.

Think about what you are good at, and what opportunities you have to use those abilities to serve, if you aren't already.

Of course, after church this morning I went to lunch with a couple of guys, and one of them, in a conversation about relationships, voiced the exact same word-for-word thoughts I had been thinking as I wrote last night's post. That was the second affirmation in three hours that I am right where God wants me to be right now. This group of people is asking the same questions I am, and wants to know the answers just like I do. Sometimes, like now, God makes it really easy to know. Thanks, God.

The past few Sundays as I get ready for church I have been listening to the String Quartet Tribute to Relient K album. It might become a new Sunday tradition for me; I think it helps add a little sophistication to my day (not too much though). One of the songs that was redone on that album has been going through my head for the past few hours, here are some of the lyrics:

...
I’m giving up on doing this alone now
Cause I’ve failed and I’m ready to be shown how
He’s told me the way and I’m trying to get there
And this life sentence that I’m serving
I admit that I’m every bit deserving
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair

Cause I’ve been housing all this doubt and insecurity and
I’ve been locked inside that house all the while You hold the key
And I’ve been dying to get out and that might be the death of me
And even though, there’s no way in knowing where to go,
Promise I’m going because
I gotta get outta here
Cause I’m afraid that this complacency is something I can’t shake
I gotta get outta here
And I’m begging You, I’m begging You, I’m begging You to be my escape.
...

- Be My Escape, Relient K
From the album "Mmhmm"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I affirm your assessment, and want to add to your list, writing. I'm very much enjoying your blog.

Monday, May 29, 2006 7:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home