Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Friends in far-off places

Today my brother and three of my brothers in Christ are on their way to spend some time in two countries overseas. They are probably all on planes as I write this. These are all men I respect and value. Pray for them while they are gone, as I will be. Just mention "the four guys Jon knows"...God will know who you are talking about.

The following is for Dan. I looked up the word "Godspeed" in the Online Etymology Dictionary and...they don't have that word. I was very grateful for this, because I probably wouldn't have understood any of it. They did however have the word "speed," and I was able to glean this nugget from its definition: it is from an Old English word that means "to succeed, to prosper, or (the meaning we are all much more familiar with) to advance." Thus wishing someone "Godspeed" means "may God prosper you" or "may God give you success." A lesser known meaning is "may God make your plane fly fast as lightning."

Godspeed.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jon! :-)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 6:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home