Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sunshine

A while back I heard about a movie called Sunshine. It's apparently about a group of astronauts on a mission to reignite the Sun after it begins to die. It sounded to me like The Core in space; that is, a completely implausible but nevertheless entertaining movie focused on big special effects sequences but completely lacking in style (not that The Core isn't a very entertaining B-movie — I actually own it). Imagine my surprise tonight when I saw this slick, simple, fascinating, and all-around well crafted trailer.

Now, I can't make any guarantees as to the quality of the movie when it actually comes out (after all, the final trailer for Star Wars: Episode III had me wondering if George Lucas might have actually done something right for once — with evidence like that, no one can ever call me a pessimist), it's simply a great example of how a good trailer should be made. Granted, it does use the same music that was composed for the second The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers trailer, but if you hold that against it you will have to hold it against a dozen other movie trailers that have come out in the past five years as well.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger lizze said...

I have this love-hate(mainly) relationship with trailers. They usually give away the best scenes in the film.

So many times where I have been so thrilled with a good movie sequence when at the last moment, a flash back from the trailer has popped up in my mind and to away the end of the sequence.

Once I have decided to see a film, I will avoid that films’ trailer like the plague.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 1:38:00 AM  
Blogger treeinforest said...

Yes, I have had that happen to me too, and it's annoying. On the other hand, seeing the trailer for a movie has saved me many times from going to see a movie I won't like. A one sentence blurb isn't enough to tell sometimes.

Trailers have also convinced me to see movies I was otherwise uninterested in, some of which have ended up among my favorites.

Monday, January 22, 2007 4:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home