Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Long Awaited Party

My moment of triumph came at last tonight. Let me explain: my DVD player has a "Position Memory" feature by which, through the means of holding down a button for a period of one or two seconds, it is able to store in its memory your current position on the DVD you are watching. You can then turn the player off and when you play the disc again later, it will resume where you left off. In fact, the player can store a position for up to five discs at a time. Where the problem comes in is that in addition to turning off the DVD player and resuming again later, you can actually remove the disc entirely from the player, and still pick up where you left off when you put it back in. Apparently I have on at least three occasions stored a position for a disc, taken it out of the player and never put it back in again, with the result that I have had three stored positions on my player with no simple way to clear them other than to find the disc they pertain to and reinsert it. As you can imagine, it has been a source of great torment for me, and has been such for a period measured in years.

Well, a few days ago I managed to clear one of the three by a process of deliberately overloading the memory. Tonight, a further triumph was accomplished: I discovered (no pun intended) the identity of one of the two remaining mystery discs. It was the theatrical edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. I am crossing my fingers that the remaining mystery disc is one of the six discs of the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings. Otherwise, it is a movie that I started and never finished, and haven't watched since I moved to Dallas. Given the current size of my collection and the number of movies I have sold back over the past couple of years, I am tending toward despair.

This all leads me to a bad theological joke my friend Jonathan would probably highly appreciate: this immovable yellow dot on my position memory menu is evidence of a movie unseen.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wouldn't the yellow dot be evidence of part of a movie unseen?

(and, have you considered looking in the manual for a way to clear the memory of the entire player?)

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:58:00 PM  
Blogger treeinforest said...

Yes, to be more specific, the yellow dot is evidence of anywhere from 1% to 99% of a movie unseen, give or take a percent.

There is a way to reset the entire memory, but then I would have to go back through all the other settings and try to get them back the way they are now. Thus it's not really a "simple way" and the trade-off isn't worth it yet.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home