Monday, October 23, 2006

An Honest Salesman

Apparently they do exist, after a fashion.

Since the CD player in my car no longer works, I have been considering replacing the stereo. I went to a car stereo store, and the salesman showed me some stuff, including a $1,000 DVD player with a motorized screen that retracts into the dash. When I commented that I didn't really need a DVD player in my car, he amused and somewhat surprised me by answering, "Of course not. Nobody needs a DVD player in their car. Nobody needs any of this stuff. That's why the store is called Car Toys. Nobody needs a $2,000 stereo. We have one though. It's right over there..."

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger xate said...

first thought:
thats scary, if american drivers are watching movies on the road..

second thought:
please, please, no one tell my dad about that store!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:28:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder if that's the car toys right by my apartment. (I can practically spit on it...)

BTW, I keep buying these AIWA MP3 stereos for my truck. (people have taken the last two of them!!) When I first bought one at Best Buy about 5 or 6 years ago, it was about $300. Now, it's got a lot more features, and it works a lot better. Oh, and the last one I bought (same model, but newer version) was only $150. It's the way to go. You just burn your mp3s onto a cd and play it in your car. I guess you would need a different version if you want satellite radio, but I don't think anyone would need Satellite radio with one of these. I never listen to the radio anymore because I've always got about 6 hours of music sitting in there. And, if I should get bored of that, I just change one CD and have 6 more.....

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger treeinforest said...

I believe they are one and the same store.
I am finding that MP3 capability is pretty much a standard these days, which works because it is definitely a feature I want (it would enable me to carry all my music in my car without the need for a trailer).
Actually, all the stereos are pretty much the same (or so it appears to me), a fact which is producing in me a kind of apathy which so far has kept me from spending enouch time looking at them to pick one.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger treeinforest said...

Thus the lack of a decision...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 10:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home