Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Sixth Sense is not Science Fiction.

Here's how you tell the difference between Drama, Fantasy, and Science Fiction: ask the question, "Is the world in the story possible according to what we know?" If the answer is "yes," (i.e., the world in the story functions according to the same natural laws as the real one - with no additions - and has the same or similar history) it's a Drama. If the answer is "no," (i.e., the story involves ghosts, magic, mythical events, fantastic creatures not explained through scientific means) it's a Fantasy. If the answer is "maybe so," (i.e., the events and creatures in the story, however fantastic, have scientific explanations, even if the science is wrong or made up) then it's Science Fiction.
I'm going to go ahead and say (until I'm proved wrong) that all stories are primarily one of those three types, and that all other genres are just subcategories. The metaphysical is, almost by definition, not scientific - thus The Sixth Sense cannot be Science Fiction, nor can any other story described primarily as metaphysical. I'd call The Sixth Sense a Horror movie - albeit an unusually skillful one - a subcategory of Fantasy. Just goes to prove you can't always judge a movie by its genre.
Not really a rant, just trying to clarify semantics.

My CD collection officially reached "that size" today: I bought a CD I already own, and didn't realize it until I got home. In my favor, I realized it before I looked at my CD rack. Unfortunately I didn't realize it before I had completely unwrapped it, so if there are any Subseven fans in Dallas, talk to me at Highland or 63 and you may be in for a free CD.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger xate said...

very cool band. i only know a few songs from streaming net stuff, though.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 6:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home